The company was founded in 2012 by leading ice specialists in Kazakhstan. The core group of the company has 10 to 15 years of experience operating in the Caspian Sea as well as several years of involvement with projects supporting seismic operations off the Greenland coast and research conducted in the Barents Sea off Svalbard coast. Recent activities include remote sensing analysis of ice conditions in the Ob Estuary and Kara sea.
The major goal of the company is provision of Ice and Metocean support services for operations in ice covered waters. The following activities are the core services provided by the company’s personnel:
- Planning of operations in ice covered waters
- Training of staff for several levels of awareness on ice related issues
- Development, set-up and integration of data management systems
- Satellite acquisition planning and optimization of costs with free images for remote sensing programs
Ice Season activities
- Provision of Ice Charting services on site and remotely depending on complexity of operations
- Provision of Ice Monitoring services aboard structures and vessels offshore
- Operational analysis and forecast of ice events hazardous for operations
- On-site awareness training of operational personnel
- Evaluation of ice season and impact on operations
- Development of recommendations to increase safety and efficiency of operations during ice season.
- Statistical analysis of Ice and Metocean data
- Satellite imagery interpretation
- In-situ ice measurements
- Ice environment studies in the areas of future operations
- Sea ice – structure interaction scenarios
- Concept development and design support of structures in ice
Company has started its commercial operations as sub-Contractor with Danish Meteorological Institute in the Caspian and off the Greenland coast establishing strategic relationship for future years. Winter 2014-2015 has shown the breakthrough when ice charting services in the Caspian sea supporting the major marine logistics project for Oil and Gas Client were provided in cooperation with HorizonIce Inc. The following seasons the services were solely provided by our Company. Short description of our projects is summarised on a page with Our Clients.
Our Code of Conduct applies to all employees of the company. It is designed to help each employee handle business situations professionally and fairly at the highest standards of ethical norms. It explains how our actions reflect on the company and how the company is, therefore, perceived as the cumulative perception of what we do.
Our Code of Conduct summarizes our Identity, Purposes, Values and the general Mindset. It is regularly reviewed and amended as appropriate.
ICEMAN.KZ has a rigid HSE commitment to the highest standards for the health and safety of our employees, customers, partners and contractors as well as to the protection of the environment in the communities in which we live and work. Every commercial project as well as routine operations are conducted based on the principles by which we conduct our operations laid out in the HSE Management system rigorously supported by Policies and standards throughout any activity.
In addition to our commercial activities we conduct significant research and development in order to stay up-to-date with modern techniques in remote sensing and data handling. Recent availability of Sentinel images has helped here a lot making both SAR and Optical satellite images available in vast numbers. Collecting historical data on the Caspian ice conditions across the region has helped us building bridges with diverse research groups along the coast. Through the cooperation we have collected vast archive of ice observations data going back to 1927. More technical details are published on the Research and Development page. Regular updates on our ongoing non-commercial projects can be found on Researchgate Iceman.kz Lab.
Considering ice related research, operational charting and forecasting relies a lot on BigData handling as well as numerous text data we have developed internal Data Management System and continue enhancing it. The major tools to manipulate and generate data are developed for open-source QGIS heavily enhanced with python based scripts ensuring quality of data and enhancing operations with automation of data flows. Powerful features and flexibility of underlying PostGIS database ensures data integrity and accessibility from any part of the world.